KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Fitness is important at every age, but the type of physical activity you engage in should vary depending on your age.
Health and fitness coach Candice McField says you can push yourself at any age, but it’s important to understand the best type of workouts for your age to prevent injuries.
- Joint issues like arthritis, bad knees, hips, back become common
Goal: To not let aches and pains cause you to give up on exercise. Continue to push yourself but alter your exercise activities
- Focus on balance and stretching
- Strength Training
- Alphabet leg lifts(balance); abductors (stretch); lats (stretch)
- Resistance training is still important
- 3x per week – use lighter weights
- 3x/ week – focus on cardio that DOES NOT stress the joints
- ex: slow jogs, walking, water aerobics, bicycle